Sunday, February 28, 2016

Best Dressed: Oscars 2016

Yay!  It's one of my favorite Sundays of the year:  Oscar Night!!  Per usual, I am excited to share my Top 10 Best Dressed with you tonight. So without further ado, here they are:



1.  Cate Blanchett in Armani Prive
 I may not be in the majority here, but I DON'T CARE.   This dress was an absolute dream and definitely something I would totally wear if I had the opportunity to attend an event of this caliber.  The color was perfection with her skin tone.  The floral appliques are just so pretty. Doesn't help that she's got that long, lithe sinewy body type and this dress was without a doubt made to measure!  I also appreciate that she went incredibly simple on her hair and makeup since her dress was so ornate.  Of course, the perfect way to complement such a feminine dress?  Jewels by Tiffany & Co. of course!  Love it!  I appreciate that Ms. Blanchett always takes a chance and chooses something out of the box and extraordinary.  Haute couture at it's finest!!!

2. Naomi Watts in Armani Prive


Although completely different in style, I'm not surprised that my top 2 for the evening were created by the same designer.  I will also say that I had a heck of a time deciding between the two.  I absolutely LOVED the blue/pink/purple colorway combination of this dress - as everyone knows, I adore color so this isn't a surprise.  But it took such a simple column gown to something absolutely STUNNING. Fuschia lip?  Check?  Bulgari diamonds and clutch?  Check Check!  This gal always looks great in a column gown and tonight was definitely no exception.


3. Saiorse Ronan in Custom Calvin Klein


She says she chose the dress' color in Emerald to honor her Irish heritage and let me just say it's working for her!  This beautifully cut sequined gown looks stunning on the Oscar nominee and what makes it even more special is the cheeky back-side!  I really loved that she paired it with mis-matched Emerald & Diamond Chopard earrings.  My only wish was that her hair was a bit less "beachy..."  I look forward to seeing this up and comer on the red carpet in years to come.


4. Brie Larson in Gucci

The Best Actress nominee was definitely one to watch tonight and I was glad to see that she definitely didn't disappoint.  Joining the ranks of lovely women wearing jewel tones, in this lovely cobalt blue ruffled gown that made me think of a mermaid for some reason.  I love that she paired it with a pearl and crystal belt - most would have worn the dress as is.  The cut was lovely on her and I love a young person in a dress with a train!  Her jewelry was so simple:  a ring, drop earrings and jewels holding back those tresses.  She owned this lovely dress and looked so much more comfortable and confident than she did in the gold dress I loved at the Golden Globes.  She's my top pick for best actress tonight!  Fingers crossed.


5.Alicia Vikander in Louis Vuitton

This was the first dress I saw, as it  was trending online with multiple comparisons to Belle from Beauty & the Beast, and I have to say, I agree!  The lovely Ms. Vikander floated along the red carpet in this lovely yellow gown that perfectly suited her age.  She managed to look so elegant and comfortable and causally chic all at once.  I really liked the fact that the front of the dress was shorter, which I am sure helped navigate her walk to the stage when she **** SPOLIER ALERT** won for Best Supporting Actress.  Goes to show that dressing like a Disney Princess just might make you a Hollywood Princess as well!


6.  Isla Fisher in Marchessa

I was shocked to hear that this beautiful floral gown ended Ms. Fisher on some Worst Dressed lists.... I whole heartedly disagree. What this dress lacks in color, it makes up for, in lovely floral pattern.  I love with a little silver belt, complimenting the soft colors and detailing in the pattern. She knows how to work that drapey, off-the-shoulder style with aplomb reminding us that this gal knows how to work an ethereal look. 



7.  Tina Fey in Atelier Versace

Okay, so this silhouette is one that Ms. Fey often chooses, but this is the first time I think that she has landed on my list.  Why's that?   Two reasons:   First, that amazingly regal purple!  Secondly, the cut - the ruching on this gown is to die for!  She looks absolutely beautiful.  Pairing it with a beautiful, coordinating Diamond & Saphire Bulgari collar was a stylist's dream, but my only wish was that she had worn her hair down cause she knows how to work a Retro-glam Rita Haywood wave.

8.  Olivia Munn in Stella McCartney

If the list above is any indication, one would say that I love a dress with some sort of beautiful ornamentation - so I surprised myself a little in being so drawn to this dress!  With nary a sequin, floral applique, ruched detail,  in site,  this lovely Tangerine frock relied on it's one-shoulder/cape style and phenomenal cut to bring out all the stops.  Munn looks so lovely in this show stopping color that she even color coordinated her lipstick!   The only ornamentation was that lovely Forevermark serpent cuff that I would LOVE in my own collection!! 

9. Priyanka Chopra in Zuhair Murad

The only other white dress in the bunch - this floral showed off her bangin' bod!   Like her other white-frocked friend Isla Fisher, Ms. Chopra paired her white gown with a silver belt.    This was a risky move as the style of the belt and dress here were quite different, but somehow seemed to work! Maybe it had something to do with the sexy sheerness of this look?  The floral pattern of this dress seemed very exotic and I thought it was a perfect choice for her beautiful skin tone!  I really wish though that she had brought out the Bollywood glam and worn her hair loose instead of in a simple ponytail though.

8. Jennifer Garner in Atelier Versace
 
It's very unusual that I chose a black gown.  However this dress had a nice combination of stunning details and Jennifer Garner looks so elegant.  However to be fair, I find she rarely misses on the red carpet.  This one-shouldered look with beading on the bodice, pleated detailing, train and slit made this dress a hit for me!  Diamond earrings and cuffs to add some much needed bling, making this classic Old Hollywood-style glamour.  While I typically prefer long, loose waves with this look, I actually like this pulled back hair due to the fact they gave her a lot of volume!  Also, her best accessory?  That smile of course!!
 
 
Well, that my friends is my round up of the Best Dressed list from this year's Oscars.  What are your thoughts? Did I miss anyone?  Do you disagree?  Who were your LEAST favorites?  I'd love to hear you share!!

No comments: